Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Facing a terminal illness

I have a fairly close friend who has been close to dying at least a zillion times. I cannot count how many times she has been rushed to the hospital. She has had a mastectomy and has lung cancer. She has had two heart attacks, the most recent one being last week. Now her primary doctor has told her that there is no more treatment and that she should call hospice.
Her attitude is that she will die when she gets good and ready and will consider hospice at that time. Meanwhile she contends she will keep on doing what she always done. I think her hope is that come hell or high water she will go out when the good Lord is ready to take her and then only with her absolute consent!

Is she in denial? Maybe a little bit. Does it matter? Probably not. It definitely matters more to me because she is a friend and I will miss her.
She is outrageous and has red hair. I enjoy her company to the nth degree. I will miss the emails she sends(most of which are forwarded jokes). I don't open hardly any of them. I get pleasure that she finds it fun to forward them not realizing that there might be a virus in one of them. I am not one to throw that much caution to the wind. If she emails me and there is nothing in the subject line then I know it is a personal message. Little does she know that I open only those.

This is a person I will miss when the time comes. I am hopeful her passing will be peaceful. Among my counted blessings is one I will cherish, I am glad I know her.
God bless you, my friend.



1 comment: