Friday, July 31, 2009

I am so Jazzed!

I have an account on Facebook and every so often I search for friends from my past. People that I would really like to establish contact with again. Well, I found a woman who was my best friend in college and for some time after.

We met in English class. She sat behind me and one day the professor was talking about unusual pets that people have.
He said something to the effect: " I bet Kathie has a strange animal for a pet." Without missing a beat, Kathie replied " As a matter of fact I have an alligator in my basement." I will never forget the astonishment on the professor's face and the laughter from the class. I remember turning around to look at her and from that point on we were as thick as thieves.

We were outrageous to say the least. For example, not wanting to give too much away, we would sneak beer into the boys dorm. In those days the dorms were segregated.
I loved those days some of which were traumatic but we stuck together.

She got married, I did not. I joined the Navy. She remained true to form, I lost some of the zest when my mother died. We drifted apart.

She has been married to her one true love for more than forty years. We won't go into why I never married until I was sixty.
She now lives in Mexico, I am still in the States. She is definitely living one of my dreams, to retire in Mexico. I could not convince my husband to do that. Maybe I did not use my powers of persuasion correctly. It is not important any more ( I lie) and we are settled here.

Her life has been far from perfect, she and her husband lost a child. I was there, it was terrible.

But, I cannot help but be a little green with envy, Mexico and a forty + year marriage.
But, my life is full. I am married to a wonderful man who I love dearly.
It is just that sometimes I wish..............

No comments:

Post a Comment