Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My gut tells me

that rough days are ahead for me and my husband.  He is on a downhill slide.  I know it, however, I have no idea what to do to stop it or how to slow down the process.  His Alzheimer's has been a challenge for a long time, but this week, wow!  He has spent the majority of the last three days asleep on the couch.  He has eaten very little and no longer can remember which key opens the car door.  We have endured two temper tantrums and I find myself apologizing for bad behavior that cannot be attributed to me.  He almost smirks when I apologize as if he has been vindicated.  None of the unacceptable behavior is his fault. So I get to be the fall guy.  He apparently does not hear what I say, instead twists my words to suit his paranoid idea of reality.  I am learning to button my lip and let it be.  I want to maintain peace.  For the first time in my life I do not argue a point.  What for? It will be misconstrued.


The time is rapidly approaching when I get to be the bad guy and insist he not drive any longer.  Oooooh boy, that should be fun!


My daughter and her family are planning on moving close by.  I can hardly wait.  I have explained that she will be in for a rough ride since Walt is only going to get worse.  She seems willing to accept the prospect of that responsibility.  We will give her our Camry in exchange for her aid in grocery shopping, etc. I know we can work it out.
Lord above, give us strength.  

No comments:

Post a Comment